In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School (see page 6 of Graduate Student Handbook) candidates to the graduate program in the Department of Spanish & Portuguese must meet the criteria below. Please note that students applying to our graduate programs must be proficient in oral and written Spanish.
For the M.A. Program:
- B.A. degree, preferably in Spanish literatures and cultures, or related fields.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in overall undergraduate coursework.
For the Ph.D. Program:
- M.A. in Hispanic Literatures or related field.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in overall graduate coursework.
Internal M.A. Applications to Ph.D. Program:
- The Department’s Graduate Studies Committee oversees the application process.
- Applications for the Ph.D. program are due on the first Friday of the semester when the student will be taking their M.A. exams. Students should submit their completed application to the COGA Advisor AND to the Director of Graduate Studies for review. A completed application includes:
- Statement of Ph.D. goals, including likely committee members;
- Current degree progress report by signing in through http://my.ku.edu;
- Writing sample from M.A. work;
- One-paragraph letters from two faculty members with whom the student would work; applicants request these letters from faculty, to be delivered to the Director of Graduate Studies.
- In addition to reviewing the application materials, the Graduate Studies Committee contacts the Co-Directors of the Language Program for an assessment of the candidate’s teaching qualifications.